This entire party cost $23.00!
This entire party cost $23.00!
(I know...what was I thinking!? I could have spent another 2 whole dollars!!)
For those of you who don't know yet, I am starting a new weekly feature that shows step-by-step instructions on how to create a super cute party for 8 people that costs $25 or less!
I'm pretty sure most all of you are familiar with the popular children's book
THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR
(I sure hope so!)
Well, this request was sent in by a reader.
(Hopefully more like a very faithful reader now...)
YUP, that's right, you can send in requests for specific
themes/types of parties you want to see on here!
(Just as long as you promise to read and follow my blog everyday for the rest of your life...
Ha ha, just kidding...okay not really.)
And here's all you need to do to re-create this cute caterpillar party yourself...
Here's what you need to buy:
1. 1/2 Pound Broccoli: $1.00 (Grocery Store)
2. Green Pear: $0.46 (Grocery Store)
3. Kiwi Fruit: $0.50 (Grocery Store)
4. Red Apple: $0.55 (Grocery Store)
5. Cucumber: $0.27 (Walmart)
6. 2 Green Apples: $0.88 (Walmart)
7. Large Tomato: $0.65 (Walmart)
8. 2 12 x 12 Yellow Card Stock: $0.50 (Joannes)
9. 2 12 x 12 Light Green Card Stock: $0.50 (Joannes)
10. Dark Green 12 x 12 Card Stock: $0.25 (Joannes)
11. Red 12 x 12 Card Stock: $0.25 (Joannes)
12. Black 12 x 12 Card Stock: $0.25 (Joannes)
13. White Poster Board: $0.59 (Joannes)
14. Yellow Balloons: $1.00 (Walmart)
15. 3/4 Yard Red and White Fabric: $3.14 (Joannes)
16. Yellow Acrylic Paint: $0.59 (Joannes)
17. Blue Acrylic Paint: $0.59 (Joannes)
18. Red Acrylic Paint: $0.59 (Joannes)
19. Yellow Ribbon: $0.50 (Joannes)
20. Salt: $0.10 (Your Kitchen Pantry)
21. 24 Baking Cups: $0.25 (Your Kitchen Pantry)
22. 3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder: $0.09 (Your Kitchen Pantry)
23. 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour: $0.20 (Your Kitchen Pantry)
24. 1/2 Pound Powdered Sugar: $0.38 (Your Kitchen Pantry)
25. 1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar: $0.30 (Your Kitchen Pantry)
26. 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract: $0.20 (Your Kitchen Pantry)
27. 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda: $0.05 (Your Kitchen Pantry)
28. 3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder: $0.64 (Your Kitchen Pantry)
29. 12 Pack Water Bottles: $2.16 (Walmart)
30. 20 Drops Green Food Coloring: $0.20 (Your Kitchen Pantry)
31. 1 Cup (1/2 Pound) Butter: $1.50 (Grocery Store)
32. 1/2 Tablespoon Onion Powder: $0.25 (Your Kitchen Pantry)
33. 8 Ounces Strawberry Yogurt: $0.33 (Grocery Store)
34. 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil: $0.09 (Your Kitchen Pantry)
35. 1/2 Tablespoon Garlic Powder: $0.25 (Your Kitchen Pantry)
36. 1 Pint Sour Cream: $1.50 (Grocery Store)
37. 2 Large Eggs: $0.30 (Your Fridge)
38. 3/4 Cup Milk or Buttermilk: $0.15 (Your Fridge)
39. Red Napkins: $1.00 (Dollar Store)
And here's how you put it all together:
MAKE THE CUPCAKES (You can also go here to see the same recipe.)
1. In a large bowl, mix the 3/4 cups cocoa, 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
2. Make a well in the center and add the 2 eggs, 3/4 cup warm (but not hot) water, 3/4 cup milk, 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
3. Mix only the wet ingredients in the well until blended.
4. Mix both wet and dry ingredients together until incorporated. (Don't over mix!)
5. Fill baking cups 1/2 full with batter.
6. Bake in a pre-heated 350 F. degree oven for 16-20 minutes. (Or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserted in the center.)
MAKE THE FROSTING (This frosting is yuuuumy!)
1. Add 1 cup softened butter, 1/2 pound powdered sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl.
2. Whip until smooth and creamy.
3. Add about 1/2 cup sour cream and whip until creamy.
4. Add green coloring and whip until creamy.
5. Put frosting in a large ziplock bag or pastry bag.
6. Cut off the corner of the bag. (Only if using a ziplock bag of course.)
7. Decorate each cupcake with a little frosting on the top.
8. There you have it! (Remember not to put butter in the microwave to soften it, like I did, and the frosting will be a lot more pretty than this!!)
MAKE THE BACKDROP
1. Pour a little of each blue, red, and yellow paint on a plate.
2. Using your thumb, start to make dots all around the white poster board.
3. Make dots with the blue paint.
4. Make dots with the yellow paint.
5. Mix a little yellow and blue together to make green.
6. Make green dots.
7. Mix a little yellow and red to make orange.
8. Make orange dots.
9. Mix red and blue to make purple.
10. Add purple dots.
11. Now fill in the gaps until you like the way it looks!
MAKE THE NUMBER 1
(Or whatever number birthday it is, silly.)
(Or whatever number birthday it is, silly.)
1. Using your best handwriting (you can do it), draw a number 1 using the red card stock.
2. Cut it out.
3. Tape it on the painted back-drop.
1. Cut (or tear) about 7 inches off of the length of the fabric.
2. Cut this piece into about 10 inch sections.
3. Fold these 10 inch x 7 inch sections into thirds.
4. Cut (or tear) each section into thirds. (Each piece should now be about 7 inches x 2 1/2 inches or so.)
5. Remove the labels from the water bottles.
6. Using a dab of hot glue (yes that's what that pink thing is), glue the strips of fabric around the water bottles in place of the (ugly) plastic labels.
MAKE THE SUNS
1. Trace a circle using a medium-sized bowl onto one piece of yellow card stock.
2. (ta-da...no need for words here)
3. Next, add the large rays.
4. Now, add the small rays in between the large ones.
5. Keeping the 2 sheets stacked on top of each other, cut out the suns.
6. (Good job!)
MAKE THE CATERPILLAR GARLAND
1. Cut out approximately 2 1/2 inch circles front the light and dark green paper.
2. You should get about 16 from each sheet of 12 x 12 card stock.
3. Overlap your circles to create a long caterpillar the length of your table where you will be hanging it.
4. Hot glue each circle to each other, overlapping a tiny bit. (Make sure to go up-and-down.)
5. Cut out 3 sets of black legs with the black card stock and glue those on. (2 sets go in the back, and 1 set in the front.)
6. Cut out a large circle with the extra red card stock (approximately 4 inches) and use this for the head. Add eyes, a nose, and antennas. (MAKE ONE MORE HEAD AND EXTRA LEGS FOR THE CUPCAKES!!)
MAKE THE VEGETABLE DIP
1. Add 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder and 1/2 tablespoon onion powder to 1 cup sour cream. Mix it up. (Oh and don't forget a good pinch of salt!)
2. Now pour it into a ramekin or small bowl. (Okay, so this is SUPER simple! If you want, you could always add chopped parsley, or chopped green onions too.)
MAKE THE CATERPILLAR VEGETABLE TRAY
1. Arrange sliced cucumbers to look like a caterpillar.
2. Add some chopped broccoli in between some of the cucumber slices.
4. Slice the tomato in half, then in wedges and use this for the head.
5. Place the dip in the middle and it's ready to go.
MAKE THE FRUIT DIP
Put the strawberry yogurt in a ramekin or small bowl. (That's it!)
MAKE THE CATERPILLAR FRUIT TRAY
1. Place the apple slices in the shape of a caterpillar
2. Add pear slices in between some of the apple slices.
3. Add some kiwi slices.
4. Cut 1 side off of the red apple and then cut this into slices and use as the head.
5. Place the yogurt in the center and you're done!
HANG THE SUN BALLOONS
1. Blow up 2 balloons.
2. Tie a ribbon to each balloon.
3. Tape the ribbon a little above and to the sides of the backdrop. (Don't use blue tape like I did!)
4. Tape a sun to each balloon.
PLACE THE FABRIC IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TABLE AND 6 WATER BOTTLES ON EACH SIDE
TAPE THE CATERPILLAR GARLAND ON THE FRONT OF THE TABLE
ARRANGE THE GREEN CUPCAKES IN THE CENTER OF THE TABLE TO LOOK LIKE A CATERPILLAR
(Don't forget to add the head and feet!)
ADD THE FRUIT AND VEGE TRAY ON EACH SIDE
THEN THE PLATES AND NAPKINS AND YOU ARE DONE!